Page 8 - QuakerMillDam
P. 8

Floods, Fire, and the “Best Laid Plans”






                                                               Prior to the construction of the concrete structure in 1914,
                                                               at least four other dams had existed at the location of the
                                                               Quaker Mill Dam. The first dam was probably built in 1852 by
                                                               Dr. John Acers (pronounced “Akers”) and his brother Henry.
                                                               This was a wooden structure designed to power a saw mill.
                                                               Just two years later, in 1854, a flouring mill was added.
                                                                                                                1
                                                               John Acers had great aspirations for development in the
                                                               area. In November 1854 he laid out the town of Acersville,
                                                               later known as Delaware Center, along both sides of the Ma-
                                                               quoketa  River  near  his  mills.  Confident  that  the  proposed
                                                               route of the Dubuque and Pacific railroad would have to go
                                                               through Acersville, he reportedly set a high price for land
                                                               in  the railroad right-of-way. The  railroad interests balked,
                                                               and chose instead to run  the railroad two miles south  of
        Quaker Mill, facing west, circa 1900–1915 (Robert Ungs).  Acersville, establishing a new town for the railroad station.
                                                               Originally  named Burrington,  the new  city  was platted in
                                                               1854–1855. In 1857, it was given its present name, Man-
                                                               chester, probably as a sly reference to William Chesterman,
                                                               one of the entrepreneurs involved in securing the railroad
                Deaths at the Dam                              route. Losing the railroad was the death knell for Acersville,
                                                               as businesses and residences rapidly abandoned the town
                                                               and moved to Manchester. 2
           Six fatalities are known to have occurred at or
           near the Quaker Mill Dam.  In chronological         Although Acersville faded away, the flouring mill continued
           order these are:                                    to operate at the dam. Unfortunately, the early years held

             June  11, 1887:  Albert Lee, age 15,              many more troubles. Disaster struck in 1865 when a flood
             drowned while  swimming in Quaker                 destroyed the mill. The firm of Paxson & Seeds (later Paxson,
             Mill Pond.                                        Seeds & Co.) stepped in, purchasing a part interest in the
                      57
             June 30, 1929:  Alice Collins, age 30,            business and rebuilding the mill in 1867. The new partners
                                                               named it “Quaker Mill” in honor of their religious heritage.
             of Lamont, was struck by lightning
             while taking shelter under a tree dur-            The mill was destroyed again in 1869, this time by fire. Dr.
             ing a sudden storm that broke during              Acers sold his remaining interest in the business, but Paxson
             a family picnic at the dam.                       & Seeds had the structure rebuilt by the end of the year. In
                                     58
             May 29, 1938:  Mary Shimpack, age                 1876, the dam was washed away “for the third or fourth time
                                                               since its construction,” but it was soon rebuilt 120 feet long
             21, of Cedar Falls, drowned after fall-           and 14 feet high. 3
             ing from a motorboat near the dam.
                                             59
             July 18, 1948:  Jerry Luther Kirby, age           Paxson, Seeds & Co. and other firms continued to operate
             29, of Strawberry Point,  fell  into the          the Quaker Mill for several decades. By the turn of the twen-
             water while trying to climb up to the             tieth century it was one of the leading flouring mills in the
             powerhouse base after walking across              area. This 1902 overview summarizes the situation of the
             the top of the dam.                               company:
                              60
             May 29, 1958:  Jan Speed, age 19, of
             Manchester, drowned while trying to                       The Quaker Mill company is having a very
             swim across  the  river  just above  the                  satisfactory  and  ever-increasing  trade,
             dam.                                                      and besides doing a large local business is
                 61
             July 18, 1968:  William Tibbott, age                      shipping flour to the leading markets of the
             17, of Greeley, stepped into a deep                       country, in addition to doing quite an exten-
             hole in the river while seining fish be-                  sive  export  business,  shipping  to  different
             low the dam.                                              ports  in  the  British  empire.  The  company
                         62
                                                                       pays the highest market price for all kinds
                                                                       of grain, and not only uses all the grain to



        6                              University of Iowa Office of the State Archaeologist
   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13